Thursday 9 August 2007

9th August 2007


Abstract art - a personal comment

I have been reading the book - The Green Fuse: Pastoral Vision in English Art 1820-2000 by Jerrold Northrop Moore. In it he quotes John Piper an English painter of the twentieth century who said - "To ignore subject matter was to look at painting for itself alone, for its manner and its past and present habits, for its language of form, discounting its message."


I painted in the abstract between the years 1966 and 1971. Then, because I had become tired of the repetitive nature of what I was doing I turned to figurative work derived from nature and natural form. I looked for the effect of light on the textures, forms and colours of nature and responded by way of the psychological, emotional and even the spiritual effect my observations had on me.


This painting, Celtic glow is recently completed.

No comments: